Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Pictures not shown to protect the innocent

PLAY... Inspired by the Carnival of Play at PhD in Parenting. Thanks to Maternal Spark for the heads up! Go to both sites, check it out! Welcome those who come from either of those fabulous sites!

I went to a workshop in Chicago, several years ago. It was about Comedy Improv- which was a favorite subject of mine. It was soooo much fun! I laughed the whole time. This wasn't good for my stage presence, but the instructor said that it meant that I was 'in the moment,' which was good!

IN THE MOMENT, indeed. That's where we need to be to be playful, for sure. That's where our kids are - always. I think about my mostly pre-verbal toddler, experiencing the world as full of sensation and presence. I refer to my 7 year old as a force-of-nature, because he cannot be tamed. My living room furniture suffers, but his spirit is so strong. I love that about him.

My husband has that same silly spark of life, which comes out to play when other things get out of the way. He's been known to kick his feet in the air behind him to the music of silly commercials, and wrap his lower half with blankets in a diaper-like fashion (this in the hotel room in Memphis only a few weeks ago). It was delicious to see him so fully enjoying himself. It was not flattering, but it was immensely attractive... if you know what I mean.

When I can erase the habitual patterns of my misimpressioned youth, and shine a light on NOW... I can play play play with the best of them. Of course NIA is full of play. I love teaching Nia. Its like a little stage and creative outlet for all that I am. Plus, I get to share that opportunity to let loose and explore and express with my friends who join me in class. Truely a privilege to work while I play, and play while I work. I get to create coreography that expresses not only what I hear in the music that I love, but also what I feel. Blessed. Truely blessed.

As if my life could stand any more fun, I knit and crochet and bead and embroider obsessively... but it is a joyful obsession - especially when the pressure is off and I do it for the pure enjoyment of the quiet repetitive soft progress. It's not your typical definition of play, but to me it is just as fun. It's where my sould goes to rest. Everybody needs a little bit of that.

Play on my sweets!

1 comment:

Art4Sol said...

I haven't knitted in awhile...maybe that's what my soul needs.